CHURCHILL BELUGAS, BEARS & BLOOMS
This exclusive journey travels from Winnipeg to Churchill, Manitoba to witness the majestic beluga whales as they migrate to the warm, shallow waters of the Churchill River in the summer. Known as the “canaries of the sea,” the belugas will win you over with their playful nature.
On land, you will savor the boundless vistas as the tundra bursts into a colorful display alongside Hudson Bay. Experience the thrill of dog carting with a knowledgeable, local musher through the boreal forest, and explore the Churchill Wildlife Management Area on a Tundra Buggy® expedition in search of northern wildlife, including the early summer return of polar bears!
*Please note that travel insurance is strictly required to go on this tour. Contact us to help you arrange return flights from anywhere in the world and comprehensive travel insurance through Uniglobe Specialty Travel.
Please note that this is a sample itinerary and is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances, such as weather or unexpected closures.
Arrive in Winnipeg
- Arrive in Winnipeg. Discover Canada Tours can arrange roundtrip flights and/or transportation for your group from anywhere in the world. Please contact us and one of our travel agents will be happy to assist you further
- Check into your hotel at the Winnipeg airport
- Join a guided city tour of the capital city of Manitoba
- Get to meet your group and interpretive guide this evening with a welcome dinner
*Photos courtesy of ©JP Media Works and Travel Manitoba.
Winnipeg to Churchill
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included today
- Take a flight to Churchill in the early morning with your group
- Enjoy a guided tour of the town of Churchill
- Visit the Parks Canada Visitor Centre and learn about the fur trade history of Churchill
- Check into your hotel for the next 3 nights
*Photos courtesy of ©ZhangYongpeng and Madeline Grant / Frontiers North Adventures.
- All meals are included in your package today
- Take part in a dog carting interpretive program and learn about Métis culture and the history of dog sledding
- Visit the Itsanitaq Museum and tour one of Canada’s finest Inuit collections dating from pre- Dorset, Dorset, Thule and modern Inuit times
- Join a boat tour of the Churchill River to spot hundreds of beluga whales, followed by an interpretive walking tour of Prince of Wales Fort National Historic Site
- Return to your hotel at night
*Photos courtesy of ©Dan Harper and JessicaBurtnick / Frontiers North Adventures.
- All meals are included today
- Today you will spend the full day on a Tundra Buggy® expedition through the Churchill Wildlife Management Area
- Stay overnight at the Churchill hotel
*Photos courtesy of ©Mike Macri and Frontiers North Adventures.
Churchill to Winnipeg
- All meals are included today
- Join a guided excursion into the Churchill River beluga whale estuary in an inflatable Zodiac boat
- Take an evening flight to Winnipeg (included)
- Check into your hotel in Winnipeg to end the tour
- Depart Winnipeg at leisure the next morning. Discover Canada Tours can arrange flights and/or post tour accommodation and activities for your group. Please contact us for more information
*Photos courtesy of ©ZhangYongpeng and Frontiers North Adventures.
What is the best time to take this tour to maximize wildlife sightings?
This package is offered during the summer months of July and August. Typically, this is the time when beluga whales migrate to the warm waters of the Churchill River for birthing and feeding, the Arctic tundra landscapes bloom in full splendor, and polar bears begin to return from the sea ice, offering an amazing opportunity to witness these majestic creatures.
In addition to belugas and polar bears, you may encounter a variety of northern wildlife, including arctic foxes, caribou, seals, and a diverse range of bird species, such as snowy owls and ptarmigans.
It is important to note that while the chances of seeing wildlife are very high during this time, it cannot be guaranteed. Our expert guides and partners will make sure to take you to the best wildlife viewing spots and to make your experience an unforgettable one!
What weather conditions should I expect on this tour?
While both Winnipeg and Churchill have summer seasons, Winnipeg enjoys warmer temperatures, longer daylight hours, and lower humidity. Churchill’s summer is marked by cooler temperatures, unique daylight patterns, and the presence of coastal winds and insects.
When staying in Churchill, guests should be prepared for a colder summer experience than in the southern regions of Manitoba. We recommend packing layers, including warm clothing and accessories like waterproof jackets. Comfortable, waterproof footwear and insect repellent are also essential items to include.
Is it safe to observe beluga whales from the Zodiac boats?
Yes. You will embark on a Zodiac beluga expedition with experienced guides that prioritize the safety and well-being of both guests and wildlife. While you can get relatively close to the beluga whales in Zodiac boats, guidelines are in place to maintain a safe and respectful distance to ensure the animals are not disturbed.
Now accepting bookings for 2024 & 2025
- Witness the enchanting migration of beluga whales: a summer spectacle on the Churchill River
- Immerse yourself in the breathtaking tundra landscape adorned with vibrant summer blooms
- Embark on a thrilling dog carting adventure through the colorful boreal forest with a professional musher
- Explore the Churchill Wildlife Management Area on a Tundra Buggy®, searching for northern wildlife and early-arriving polar bears
What to Bring:
- Light and warm layers
- Waterproof jacket
- Comfortable footwear (waterproof recommended)
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Mosquito repellent
- Camera and binoculars are recommended
- Reusable water bottle and small backpack
- 2 pieces of ID
- Travel insurance is required. We can help you arrange different packages through Uniglobe Specialty Travel