CHURCHILL NORTHERN LIGHTS & WINTER NIGHTS
This exclusive and comprehensive adventure offers an opportunity to witness the captivating Aurora Borealis from the Tundra Buggy® in Churchill, Manitoba. Travel across the frozen Churchill River to a new and secluded location each night for incredible viewing opportunities of the Northern Lights* as you surround yourself in the beautiful and remote landscapes of Manitoba.
During the day, the adventure continues with immersive experiences in Churchill’s history and culture. Explore the boreal forest on a snowshoeing expedition, go on a dog sledding adventure through the snowy wilderness, and learn about the region’s rich heritage with a visit to the Itsanitaq Museum. Additionally, this package includes an exclusive evening at Dan’s Diner for an unforgettable regional culinary experience.
*The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon, and we cannot guarantee that you will see them. We will ensure that your trip remains a bucket list experience, even if you are not fortunate enough to see the Aurora Borealis!
**Please note that travel insurance is strictly required to go on this tour. Contact us to help you arrange return flights from anywhere in the world and comprehensive travel insurance through Uniglobe Specialty Travel.
Please note that this is a sample itinerary and is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances, such as weather or unexpected closures.
Arrive in Winnipeg
- Arrive in Winnipeg. Discover Canada Tours can arrange roundtrip flights and transportation for your group. Please contact us and one of our travel agents will be happy to assist you
- Check into your hotel in Winnipeg and explore the amenities onsite
- Get to meet your group and interpretive guide this evening with a meet and greet
*Photos courtesy of ©Travel Manitoba.
Winnipeg to Churchill
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included today
- Fly to Churchill early in the morning with your group
- Enjoy a guided bus tour of Churchill
- Visit the Itsanitaq Museum to learn about Inuit history and heritage
- Embark on an evening forest excursion to escape the lights of town and have a chance to view the Northern Lights* from an extraordinary locale in the boreal forest (weather dependent)
- Check into your hotel in Churchill for the next 3 nights
*Photos courtesy of ©Abby Matheson/Frontiers North Adventures
- All meals are included in your package today
- Visit the Polar Bear International House and learn about polar bear research and climate change from a representative
- Embark on an interpretive snowshoe trek and enjoy the thrill of adventure through the boreal forest
- Savour an exclusive culinary experience at Dan’s Diner
- Return to your hotel for the night
*Photos courtesy of ©Abby Matheson and Brandi Hayberg / Frontiers North Adventures
- All meals are included today
- Experience a dog sled ride and interpretive program with your own team of dogs to learn about Métis culture and the history of dog sledding
- Travel on an official Tundra Buggy® to visit the warm and secluded Thanadelthur Lounge for peak aurora-viewing opportunities
- Stay overnight at your hotel in Churchill
*Photos courtesy of ©Madeline Grant and Abby Matheson/Frontiers North Adventures
Churchill to Winnipeg
- All meals are included today
- Admission to the Parks Canada Visitor Centre is included today. View incredibly detailed wildlife dioramas and fur trade exhibits that represent the history of Churchill
- Take your return flight to Winnipeg this evening (included)
- Check into the hotel in Winnipeg to conclude the tour
- Depart Winnipeg at leisure the following morning. Discover Canada Tours can arrange flights and/or post tour accommodation and activities for your group. Please contact us for more information
*Photos courtesy of ©Madeline Grant/Frontiers North Adventures
How often can I expect to see the Northern Lights during this tour?
The town of Churchill is located beneath the Auroral Oval, offering excellent chances to witness the Northern Lights. With over 300 nights of Aurora activity every year, your chances to experience this stunning night-sky phenomenon are very high. Also, this package is offered on select dates in February and March, which is peak Aurora Borealis season.
That being said, the Northern Lights are a natural occurrence and we cannot guarantee you will see them, but rest assured that Discover Canada Tours and our partners will offer an unforgettable experience, even if you miss the Aurora.
What are the typical weather conditions in Churchill and Winnipeg in winter?
Churchill experiences very cold weather during the winter months, with temperatures ranging from below zero to slightly above freezing. Snowfall and icy conditions are expected, so we strongly recommend you dress in warm, thermal layers, and bring appropriate winter accessories, such as gloves, hat and a scarf, to stay comfortable during outdoor activities.
Winnipeg, where the tour begins and ends, also experiences cold winter weather during this time, with low temperatures and a high chance of snowfall.
What does the culinary experience at Dan’s Diner consist of?
Dan’s Diner offers a remote, once-in-a-lifetime culinary experience set on the frozen banks of the Churchill River and surrounded by wilderness beneath the Northern Lights. It’s a delightful opportunity to savor an exquisitely curated, inspired by land and sea multi-course menu that features regional and local cuisine, adding a special touch to your adventure.
Are all flights included in this package?
Upon arriving in Winnipeg, your roundtrip flights to Churchill are included in the tour. Transportation to and from the airports is provided for your convenience, ensuring a seamless travel experience.
If you need to travel to Winnipeg to meet at the departure point, Discover Canada Tours can offer full-service travel arrangements through Uniglobe Specialty Travel, including flights, accommodation, and travel insurance. Please contact one of our agents to get started.
Now accepting bookings for 2024 & 2025
- Witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights from the Tundra Buggy® in Churchill
- Explore the beautiful northern landscapes during nightly excursions in the boreal forest
- Immerse yourself in the history and culture of Churchill
- Engage in thrilling, authentically Canadian winter activities
- Enjoy an exclusive culinary experience at Dan’s Diner on the frozen Churchill River
What to Bring:
- Warm clothes, including thermal, waterproof and insulated layers
- Gloves, hat and a scarf
- Comfortable, sturdy, waterproof footwear
- Camera and binoculars are recommended
- Reusable water bottle and small backpack
- 2 pieces of ID
- Travel insurance is required. We can help you arrange different packages through Uniglobe Specialty Travel