Road Ranger (Driver Guide)
ROAD RANGER (DRIVER GUIDE)
JOB TYPE: Part-time contract
Are you passionate about Canada? Are you in love with the natural beauty of this great land? Do mountains, waterfalls, glacial lakes, the coastal rainforests, and beaches get your heart pumping? Do you own a Toque? Do you thrive when you’re the center of attention?
We are looking for a passionate, outgoing, nature-loving individual to join our rockstar team of tour guides! We take groups of tourists & international students to the most desirable places in Western Canada, including, but not limited to, the Rocky Mountains, Whistler, Victoria, Tofino, as well as Seattle in the USA. A high percentage of our clients are international students from around the globe and they are here to improve their English and experience all of the wonders Canada has to offer. Our goal is to provide them with the greatest experiences during their time in Canada, and memories that will last a lifetime.
WHO WE ARE
Discover Canada Tours is a division of UNIGLOBE Specialty Travel Ltd. Discover Canada Tours largest provider of youth and ESL tours on the West Coast with a primary objective to provide affordable travel programs that will enable international students and visitors to Vancouver and the lower mainland to learn more about Canada, practice their English, meet new people, and most importantly, to have fun!
While under continuous development, our travel program is currently comprised of tours to the Rocky Mountains (4-5 days), Tofino (2 & 3 days), Victoria, Whistler and Seattle (1 & 2 days). The majority of tours are scheduled on the weekends.
Discover Canada Tours is a young, motivated company. Everyone that works for Discover Canada Tours has a passion for travel and meeting people from all over the world. We truly care about each and every one of our guests and strive to give them ‘the time of their lives’. Everyone in our organization is committed to this belief and will not hesitate to go above and beyond to make sure each guest is having a wonderful experience. We are looking for people to join our team who possess a great personality, a passion for travel, and a commitment to excellence.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Efficiently maintain prepared tour schedule
- Passionately deliver commentary and stories to passengers throughout the tour
- Observe and follow all by-laws and rules of the road
- Daily vehicle safety inspections and completion of driver & vehicle reports
- Handle cash and sell activities & tickets
- Connect with people and maintain relationships
- Report directly to Tour Guide Supervisor
- Take photos and videos while on tour for marketing purposes
- Attend staff meetings and parties
- Available on weekends and holidays between May and September
QUALIFICATION & SKILLS
- A passion for Canada and our wondrous landscape
- Professional attitude and appearance
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Ability to solve problems and respond to changing conditions or unexpected events
- Awareness of safety issues
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with unforeseen difficulties
- Skill at budgeting time and money
- Knowledge of history and geography of BC is an asset
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset – please indicate the language(s) which you can converse in on the cover letter
- Additional entertainment skills, for example, musical abilities is a big asset, but not required
EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATION, AND LICENCES
- High School Diploma is required
- Previous experience in the capacity of a Tour Director and/or ESL teacher is an asset
- Degree or Diploma in a tourism program is an asset but not necessary
- Class 4 Unrestricted Driver’s Licence (*or a willingness to obtain before start date)
- First Aid Certificate (Mandatory – to obtain before start date)
- Recent Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector (Mandatory – to obtain before start date)
Competitive wage (to be discussed)
- All potential hires are required to be able to get to departure points on their own. One of our major departure points is Canada Place in downtown Vancouver.
- This is a contract position with an opportunity to renew.
- No phone calls, please.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected will be contacted.