JOIN THE GREEN TEAM FAMILY
Live the Adventure.
This is a motto that we live by. We want your guests to experience this on every tour. But we want all our employees to embrace the idea of Living the Adventure. Think of our tours not being the only adventure, but your journey through the company is also an adventure.
Why Work Here?
Be part of a team of experienced guides who are enthusiastic about showing off the best areas of the Pacific Northwest while bringing your personal touch to each adventure. Every guide has their favourite regions of British Columbia and the Rocky Mountains; what is your favourite. Every tour, craft your story and give the perfect delivery.
This is the perfect opportunity to begin your guiding career and learn, grow and ultimately become a master guide with the motivation to refine your skills.
Flexible working hours and day that allows you to define your skill set while enjoying life.
FEEL AT HOME
Discover Canada Tours is a family-owned company that values each employee’s well being and interest. We take a keen interest in your life and the work-life balance that you should achieve. Remember, you should work to live and not live to work. If you do what you love, it will never feel like work!
OUR CORE VALUES
- Our Proudly Authentic Canadian Adventurous Spirit
- We are authentic, we are adventurous and we are most definitely proudly Canadian
- Discover Our Global Unification Through Travel Experiences
- Our guides are from all over the world, each bringing a touch of their culture to Discover Canada Tours
- The Discovery of the Body, Mind and Soul Through Nature
- Be one with nature and let nature be one with you
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Tour Operations & Bus Maintenance Coordinator will be primarily responsible for ensuring our fleet is well maintained, high utilization and well-trained drivers. The fleet & logistics coordinator will also manage our outsourced transportation reservations and will assist the Tour Guide & Departures coordinator with driver recruitment, driver training, and weekend on-call duties. Specific duties may include but are not limited to:
- Organize and keep up-to-date all required fleet documentation & permits; Including: Commercial Vehicle Inspections, Insurance, PTB Certification, DOT Update,repair logs,fuel logs
- Maintain and inspect driver logs through Big Road /Fleet Complete ELD log monitoring, as well as enforcing rules with drivers.
- Oversee Maintenance of the fleet including
- Scheduling CVIP inspections
- Scheduling bi annual driver check ups
- Regular service (on schedule)
- Repairing or arranging repairs on vehicles to keep them in safe service.
- Cleaning – ensuring guides are cleaning vehicles and that the outsourced cleaning is conducted regularly. This included ensuring vehicles are sufficiently cleaned before tours.
- Respond to charter inquiries with quotes (transportation only) and dispatching of buses and drivers. Includes client & customer service.
- Organize e-documentation and hard copy filing of all things fleet & driver guide related.
- Have ability to assess and do minor repairs and maintenance (mechanical abilities an asset)
- Organize our fleet and drivers according to the on-going and custom tours schedules, ensuring that they aren’t overbooked and being utilized as much as possible
- Manage our outsourced transportation reservations with suppliers including Charter Bus Lines, Universal Coach Lines, Wilson’s, Third Wave, etc.
- Identify when our buses will be used for trips that we previously planned on using a charter bus for and ensure the charter buses are cancelled in time according to cancelation policies
- Ensure charter bus companies have the driver itineraries and all information including spot times, etc. are accurate
- Review new tour / custom tour itineraries to ensure they comply with driver hours
- Tour Supplies & Groceries – Shopping for food required for some tours & BBQs, and other suppliers and/or equipment or ensuring it is taken care of
- Ferry reservations – ensure the unused ferry reservations are released within the allowed time frame
- Tour logistics – assist with itineraries, passenger lists, activity reservations, meal reservations, etc. as needed or assigned.
- Operations Administration – From time to time you will be required to take care of administrative operational duties as assigned by the operations manager. You will also be required from to keep all operational documents required for a successful summer/winter up to date. These include but are not limited to the Master trip list, comprehensive, emergency log, guide schedule, ferry booking sheet, guide phones, etc.
Driver Guide and Driver HR
- Assist the Tour Guide & Departures coordinator with the recruitment, training, and evaluation of driver guides and driver.
- assist with all aspects of driver guide and driver training.
- assist with maintaining driver guide and driver records.
- assist in improving existing driver guide training
- assist with scheduling when required
- Conduct on-going driver training
- Assist in ensuring we have forecasted and recruited enough guides for the summer season
- Tour Guiding / Driving – From time to time, you will also be expected to guide and/or drive groups on tours and excursions particularly in emergency situations (i.e. if a guide fails to show up for a tour / if we have a bus breakdown and need to shuttle passengers, etc.
- Throughout the winter the typical work week will be Monday – Friday with some weekends required
Objectives & Expectations:
- Willingness to go above and beyond
- Work well in a team environment promoting a positive attitude within the operations department
- Ability to lead, inspire, evaluate the driver guides and drivers
- Excellent decision making skills and ability to handle stressful situations
- Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking skills & attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- High level of proficiency with MS Excel / Google Sheets
- Commitment to ensuring that our suppliers policies and procedures are being adhered to
- Commitment to the company’s objectives and core values
The Marketing Department at Discover Canada Tours is looking for a recent graduate that wants to learn and grow in the field of digital and traditional marketing. This position reports to the Marketing Manager.
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks.
- Design marketing materials that sales and other departments can use to sell the company
- Assist in the maintenance of the brand’s websites
- Have an eye for great photographs and designs to use in marketing materials
- Maintain social media channels under the supervision of the senior marketing staff
- Assist in generating monthly digital reports for management
- General marketing activities as assigned by your supervisor
- Indesign and/or Illustrator and Photoshop
- Deep understanding of the best practices for social media
- Strong Google Sheets and Slides (or Excel and Powerpoint)
- Outgoing personality
- Outstanding work ethic and the ability to take the initiative
- Ability to multitask both as a team and individually
- Strong organizational skills
- Eager to learn new skills
- Be a team player
- Strong English communication skills both written and verbal
Basic knowledge of the following skills that would enhance your application but will not affect your chances of securing the position
- Facebook Ads
- Google Ads
- Google Analytics
- Knowledge of Prezi
- Knowledge of Flickr and other photo storage systems
Super cool if you can speak
Why Work for Discover Canada Tours
- Fun company – we work hard but play even harder
- Leave work at work – work/life balance is critical
- Opportunity to travel – we send all our employees on our scheduled tours so that you can get an idea of what we do and where we go
- In-house training – under the supervision of the Marketing Manager you will be taught all the skills you need to become a successful marketer
- External training – every quarter we complete courses both individually and as a team
- Diversity – we currently have over 15 nationalities represented in our office; a true melting pot of cultures – diversity of cultures leads to personal growth
- Recent graduate with a focus in marketing, business or tourism
- Valid work permit / PR / Citizenship – we cannot sponsor visas
What Happens After I Submit My Application?
- Online application
- Video interview
- In person (if selected)
- Follow-up and potential second interview
- Welcome to the DCT family
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN A POTENTIAL GUIDE
- Great people and leadership skills
passion and knowledge for Western Canada
- History, geography and first nation culture of the regions we visit
- A sense of adventure, adaptability and responsibility
- Willingness to grow and learn
- Team player
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I SEND MY APPLICATION
- Online application
- Video and Phone interview
- In person/Group interview (if selected)
- Ride along / free trip trial (One day tour to one of our most popular destinations)
- Welcome to the DCT family
- On the road training with an experienced guide