Fleet Coordinator & Part Time Driver-Guide
FLEET COORDINATOR & PART-TIME DRIVER-GUIDE
Discover Canada Tours is one of the largest tour operators in Western Canada. For over 15 years, our tour divisions, Discover Canada Tours, West Trek, Discover Canada Student Adventures (DCSA) and Destination Snow have operated guided year-round adventure travel specifically designed for the soft adventure market. Our popular tours provide unique and flexible travel experiences for the best value while showcasing the most spectacular places, attractions and activities in Western Canada.
We are looking for passionate people who bring a commitment to excellence and teamwork to join us. We believe that culture is the compass to success and so it is woven into everything we do.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Fleet Coordinator will be primarily accountable for ensuring our fleet is excellently maintained and up to all safety standards as well as ensuring driver guides are trained in safety, cleaning protocols and all aspects of professional driving. The fleet coordinator will also assist the Operations Manager with driver recruitment, driver training, vehicle administration, weekend departures and on-call duties.
Specific duties may include but are not limited to:
- Organize and keep up-to-date all required fleet documentation & permits; Including Commercial Vehicle Inspections, NSC, Insurance, PTB Certification, DOT Update, repair logs, fuel logs
- Maintain and inspect driver logs through Big Road /Fleet Complete ELD log monitoring, as well as enforcing rules with drivers
- Oversee maintenance of the in-house fleet of 7+ mini-coaches
- Schedule CVIP inspections
- Schedule bi-annual driver check-ups
- Regular service (on schedule)
- Repair or arrange repairs on vehicles to keep them in safe service
- Cleaning – ensuring guides are cleaning vehicles and inspection is conducted regularly. Ensuring that there are enough cleaning supplies in the vehicles for Covid Safety protocols
- Organize e-documentation and hard copy filing of all things fleet & driver-guide related
- Have the ability to assess problems and do repairs and maintenance
- Oversee bus yard including maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment at the yard
Driver Guide and Driver HR:
- Assist the Operations Manager with the recruitment, training, and evaluation of driver guides and drivers
- Conduct on-going driver training
- Maintain driver guide and driver records
- Improve existing driver-guide training
- Assist with scheduling when required
- Tour Guiding / Driving – From time to time, you will also be expected to guide and/or drive groups on tours and excursions particularly in emergency situations (i.e. if a guide fails to show up for a tour / if we have a bus breakdown and need to shuttle passengers, etc.)
Logistics and Operations:
- Assist in organizing our fleet and drivers according to the on-going and custom tours schedules, ensuring that they aren’t overbooked and are being utilized as much as possible
- Assist in managing our relationships with outsourced transportation reservations with suppliers including Charter Bus Lines, Universal Coach Lines, Wilson’s, Third Wave, etc.
- Identify when our buses will be used for trips that we previously planned on using a charter bus for and assist in ensuring the charter buses are cancelled in time according to cancellation policies
- Review new tour/custom tour itineraries to ensure they comply with driver hours
- Ensure equipment and supplies such as Tents, Sleeping bags, Ski gear is loaded into appropriate vehicles
- Maintain equipment and supply inventory at the yard
- Assist our drivers while they are on tour (via phone call) if they have any fleet-related questions or concerns.
- The typical work week will be 5 days a week which includes weekends depending on operations.
- Per Hour Schedule (Clock in and Out )
- Willingness to go above and beyond
- Work well in a team environment promoting a positive attitude within the operations department
- Ability to lead, inspire and evaluate the driver guides and drivers
- Excellent decision-making skills, an ability to handle stressful situations and work under pressure
- Possess excellent organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills
- High level of proficiency with MS Excel / Google Sheets
- Commitment to ensuring that our suppliers’ policies and procedures are being adhered to
- Commitment to the company’s objectives and core values
- Knowledge, understanding and a passion for the tourism/travel industry
- Flexibility due to the dynamic nature of the industry
- Class 4 unrestricted or Class 2 drivers licence mandatory
- Basic mechanical experience mandatory, advanced knowledge and experience an asset
- Tour Guide experience an asset
- Ability to speak a second language an asset
- This is a part-time per-hour position to start but will become full-time when tourism picks up.
- Approx 20-30 hours per week (this includes driving and possible guiding duties until more full-time driver-guides become available and workload increases)
We would like to see this position eventually grow into a full-time position with added duties and responsibilities within the Operations department.